Minimum credits: 65
Length: 5 semesters (2 years), if full-time suggested course sequence is followed.
Industry Credentials: Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification, Office Proficiency Assessment Certification (OPAC)
- Medical Secretary: $34,006 Job Growth: 21% from 2014 to 2024
- Office Manager/Clerical Supervisor $52,630 Job Growth: 8%
- Executive Assistant: $53,370 Job Growth: 5% *Median salaries & job growth nationwide as of 2015. Source: BLS.gov
Division: Arts, Sciences, & Business
Contact: 434.797.8440 or 434.797.8474
This program provides broad-based knowledge and skills needed to work in a medical office environment. Medical courses are typically taught in the evenings. Students must earn a grade of C or better in all HIM courses in order to complete the program. Student who receive a grade of D or F must repeat that course before continuing to the HIM course sequence.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of various administrative support functions to perform satisfactorily in an office environment.
- Communicate effectively using oral & written methods.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using word processing software to accurately format a variety of business correspondence.
- Perform mathematical calculations to accurately complete financial & accounting functions used in an office environment.
- Key with a level of speed & accuracy acceptable to perform satisfactorily to industry standards.
- Demonstrate alphabetic & numeric filing rules to efficiently file & retrieve documents.
- Demonstrate knowledge of medical terminology necessary to perform satisfactorily in a medical office environment.
For more information consult the College Catalog
|First Semester||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Hours in Class||Course Credits|
|AST 101/103||Keyboarding I + Lab||2||2||4||4|
|BIO 100||Basic Human Biology||3||0||3||3|
|ENG 134||Grammar for Writing and Speaking||3||0||3||3|
|HLT 143||Medical Terminology I||3||0||3||3|
|ITE 116||Survey of Computer Applications||2||0||2||2|
|SDV 100||College Success Skills||1||0||1||1|
|Second Semester||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Hours in Class||Course Credits|
|HIM 143||Managing Electronic Billing - Med. Practice||3||0||3||3|
|AST 102/104||Keyboarding II + Lab||2||2||4||3|
|AST 234||Records Database Management||3||0||3||3|
|ENG 135||Applied Grammar||3||0||3||3|
|HLT 144||Medical Terminology II||3||0||3||3|
|Third Semester||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Hours in Class||Course Credits|
|HIM 130||Health Information Systems||3||0||3||3|
|AST 238/239||MS Word + Lab||2||2||4||3|
|Fourth Semester||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Hours in Class||Course Credits|
|ITD 115||Web Page Design Site Management||2||2||4||3|
|AST 243||Office Administration I||3||0||3||3|
|ITE 150||Database Software||3||2||5||4|
|BUS 121||Business Math||3||0||3||3|
|HIM 226||Legal Aspects of Health Records Documents||2||0||2||2|
|Fifth Semester||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Hours in Class||Course Credits|
|AST 244||Office Administration II||3||0||3||3|
|ECO 100||Elementary Economics||3||0||3||3|
|ITE 140||Spreadsheet Software||3||0||3||3|
|SPA 103||Basic Spoken Spanish||3||0||3||3|
|SDV 106||Job Search Strategies||1||0||1||1|