The Danville Community College Learning Assistance Center (LAC) provides an open-access computer lab for students, staff, and public users. The lab is equipped with fifty-one computers for student use. Lab computers are loaded with most of software applications used and taught on campus. Students are not required to sign in to use the computers; community users, however, are asked to sign in on the sheets across from the office and use one of the six computers on the circle. The sign-in sheets are conveniently located next to each computer. The following lab policies must be observed to use the computer lab.
Computer Use Policy
The LRC provides computers and a variety of software applications for patron use. Patrons using LRC computers must be sixteen (16) years of age or older. Computer use must fall within the guidelines outlined in the Information Technology Student/Patron Acceptable Use Agreement as stated in the college catalog and student handbook. Inappropriate use of Library and LAC computers is prohibited.
The Internet terminals in the Library and LAC are designated for research and educational purposes only. Computer use must fall within the guidelines outlined in the VCCS Computer Ethics Guidelines as stated in the college catalog and student handbook. Inappropriate use of the Internet in the Library and LAC is prohibited.
Use of LRC computers to access, download, or display data of an adult nature (pictures, text, animations, etc.) is prohibited.
Internet access is limited to research purposes only. Chat lines and chat rooms are prohibited except where necessary to fulfill course requirements.
Illegal File Usage/Access:
Unauthorized users are not permitted to alter the configuration of LRC computers or access certain files or alter files necessary for terminal, server, and program operation. Any attempt to access or alter said files or programs is prohibited.
The unauthorized use of LRC computers to access, download, or play games is prohibited.
LRC Internet Policy for Community Users
Community patrons are welcome to use designated LRC computer terminals for Internet access. However, because of the heavy demand on these resources, the following provisions do apply:
- Community Internet users must sign in at main desk (Circulation desk in library; Office desk in LAC) and present a valid I.D.
- Users must be 16 years of age or older.
- Community patrons may have access to the Internet on three computers in the LAC and two computers in the Library. Terminals for community access to the Internet will be clearly identified.
- Community patrons may access the Internet up to 30 minutes per day on designated computers. An individual patron may access only one computer terminal at a time.
- Community patrons may print up to 15 sheets per day from the Internet.
- Since DCC students take priority at all times, community users may be asked to sign off the computers.
- Internet usage is limited to serious research purposes only. No chat, unauthorized e-mail, on-line games, adult sites, etc.
- The LRC reserves the right to deny or limit its use and services to groups or individuals making excessive demands.
- Community cooperation is essential if all LRC patrons are to be adequately served. Refusal to cooperate with college personnel enforcing the above policy may result in an immediate loss of LRC privileges.
- Two violations of the above policy may result in the loss of LRC privileges
LAC Lab Policy
The LAC computer lab is open for use to both DCC students and community patrons. The lab is provided so students can learn to use the software and equipment and complete assignments made by their instructors. Computer use must fall within the guidelines outlined in the VCCS Computer Ethics Guidelines as stated in the college catalog and student handbook. Inappropriate use of the LAC computers is prohibited.
Inappropriate use includes:
- Playing games
- Making banners
- Designing and printing flyers, booklets, bulletins, and brochures other than those required by an instructor
- Making copies of software products, regardless of who owns them; or any other such activities.
- Food and drinks (including those with screw caps) are not allowed in the labs.
- Community patrons may use designated computers for up to 30 minutes per day. An individual patron may access only one computer terminal at a time.
- Community patrons may print up to 15 sheets per day.
- Children under the age of 16 should not be brought to the LAC.
- Please turn off cell phones or place on vibrate before entering the LAC or library. Please do not talk on a cell phone in the LAC or library. Calls may be received or sent in the foyer of the LRC.
Anyone who disregards or willfully violates this policy will be asked to leave the LRC and may be subject to disciplinary action as outlined by the College's Student Code of Conduct.