Program Coordination: Students completing this CSC will have 23 credits towards the A.A.S. in Administrative Support Technology? Medical Office specialization.
Graduates will be able to:
- Knowledge of medical terminology necessary to perform satisfactorily in a medical office.
- Ability to key with a level of speed and accuracy acceptable to perform satisfactorily to industry standards.
- Alphabetic and numeric filing rules to efficiently file and retrieve documents.
- Demonstrate principles of human relationship skills used to successfully interrelate with customers, associates, employees, and superiors in a project management setting;
- Understand standard methods for training, motivating, and managing people in a team-based environment;
- Proficiency in using word processing software to accurately format a variety of business correspondence.
Minimum credits: 23
Length: 2 semesters
Industry Credentials: Office Proficiency Assessment Certification (OPAC)
Career opportunities: Receptionist: $27,300 Job Growth: 10% from 2014 to 2024; Medical Office Assistant: $30,590 Job Growth: 23%; Billing Clerk: $34,180
*Median salaries nationwide as of 2015. Source: BLS.gov
Division: Arts, Sciences, & Business
Contact: 434.797.8402 or 434.797.8462
|Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Hours in Class||Credits|
|AST 101 Keyboarding I||3||0||3||3|
|BIO 100 Basic Human Biology||3||0||3||3|
|HLT 143 Medical Terminology I||3||0||3||3|
|ITE 116 Survey of Computer Software Applications||2||0||2||2|
|AST 102 Keyboarding II||3||0||3||3|
|AST 234 Records & Database Management||3||0||3||3|
|HIM 143 Managing Electronic Billing in a Medical Practice||3||0||3||3|
|HLT 144 Medical Terminology II||3||0||3||3|