Award: Career Studies Certificate
Nurse Aides, under supervision of a licensed nurse, help provide basic care and maintain a safe, clean environment for patients in long-term health care facilities or home health care. The projected job growth is much faster than average because of the growing elderly population.
The Nurse Aide Extended Care CSC contains additional courses in first aid safety, CPR, medication aide. Both programs prepare students to take the Virginia State Board of Nursing Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) test.
Occupational Objective: The Nurse Aide is capable of working under the supervision of a licensed nurse in caring for residents of a long term health care facility or to work under limited supervision in the home. In either situation, the Nurse Aide will use basic skills in observation, communication, reporting, and assisting in maintaining a safe, clean environment for the patient. This program includes training in the following areas:
Industry Certifications: Both programs prepare students to take the Virginia State Board of Nursing Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) test.
Minimum credits: 9 (Nurse Aide), 16 (Extended Care)
Length: 10 weeks
- Nurse Aide/Assistant:$15,080-27,820 Job growth: 17% from 2014 to 2024
- *Median salaries job growth nationwide as of 2015. Source: BLS.gov
Division: Arts, Sciences and Business
Contact: 434.797.8462 or 434.797.8402
Graduates will demonstrate:
- Knowledge and skills to become a certified nurse aide.
- Understanding of commonly used medical terminology.
- Knowledge and skills to become certified to perform first aid and CPR.
- Ability to describe how nutrition and diet therapy play a role in an individual’s overall health.
- Ability to describe the use of basic health care principles in a variety of situations.
|Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Hours in Class||Credits|
|NUR 25 Nursing Assistant||2||4||6||3|
|NUR 27 Nurse Aide||2||3||5||3|
|NUR 98 Seminar & Project||2||2||4||3|
|HLT 105 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation||1||0||1||1|
|HTL 106 First Aid & Safety||2||0||2||2|
|NUR 193 Studies in Medication Aide||3||2||5||4|
For more information consult the College Catalog