Listed below are steps for veterans, their spouses or dependents, new and transfer students, to utilize VA educational benefits. Complete steps listed and provide copies of documents as noted. You are responsible for knowing requirements and restrictions of your educational benefits. A chart that shows the VA Education Programs is listed below also.
Also, you may want to use the VA GI Bill Comparison Tool when considering the use of your benefits.
FOR FINANCIAL AID:
- Complete an online application to the Veterans Administration.
- Provide a “Certification Request for Educational Benefits" to the Financial Aid Office, Room 111, Wyatt Building. This must be submitted each semester.
- Provide a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility Letter for Educational Benefits to the Financial Aid office in the Wyatt Building room 111.
- Provide a copy of your DD-214 service separation papers to the Financial Aid Office, Room 111, Wyatt Building.
- (Complete the Change of Program Form ONLY if you changed programs-Ensure use of the correct form):
- Chapter 33, 35 (Post 9/11 GI Bill veterans): https://www.danville.edu/sites/default/files/assets/files/financial-aid/VBA-22-1995-are.pdf
- Chapter 33, 35 (Survivors and dependents): https://www.danville.edu/sites/default/files/assets/files/financial-aid/VBA-22-5495-ARE.pdf
- Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply for admission to DCC.
- Request your military transcript online (send to Danville Community College, Admissions and Records, Room 108, Wyatt Bldg, 1008 South Main Street, Danville, VA 24541)
- For Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard: Joint Services Transcript
- For Air Force: Air University / Community College of the Air Force
- Request all other college/university official transcripts be sent to Danville Community College, Admissions and Records, Room 108, Wyatt Bldg, 1008 South Main Street, Danville, VA 24541
- (Only if you need developmental classes): Take the VPT (Virginia Placement Test) to verify placement scores at Danville Community College for the VA. Testing is given at the DCC Library. Contact Letitia Lunsford at email@example.com or call her at 434-797-8404 to coordinate testing for the VPT.
Should you have any questions concerning these procedures or need help, please contact Sam Lowery in the Financial Aid Office of the Wyatt Building, Room 111 or call 434-797-8506.