Financial Aid – FAQ

Q.  Must I be accepted before I can apply for financial aid?

A.  No, but you must be accepted before you receive a financial aid award.

Q. How do I apply for a Pell grant?

A. When you complete a FAFSA, you are automatically considered for a Pell grant.

Q.  Are my parents required to submit their financial information?

A.  Yes, if you are under the age of 24 and do not meet any other requirements for independent status.

Q.  What if my parents are separated or divorced?  Which parent fills out the Financial Aid Application?

A.  The parent that you live with.

Q.  Do I have to report my stepparent's financial information?  

A.  Yes, if the parent that you live with or that contributes over half of your support is remarried, you must report the stepparent's financial information also.

Q. If my or my family’s current year income (year 2020) will be drastically lower than last year’s income (year 2019) what do I do? 

A. Contact the Financial Aid Office and request a Reduced Income Statement Form. Complete and submit the form, along with the appropriate documentation, to the Financial Aid Office for consideration. Often projected year income can be considered. These considerations are made at the family’s request and on a case by case basis.

Q. How do I become an independent student for federal aid purposes? 

A. If you meet one of the following: are 24 years old, are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, are married, are a ward of the court, have no living parents and have no legal guardian, or have a legal dependent who gets more than half of their support from you. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has more details about these categories.

Q. What is DCC’s Title IV Code? 

A. Our Title IV School Code is 003758.

Q. What is a PIN? 

A. Formerly known as the Electronic Access Code (EAC), a PIN is the code that you need to: Sign your FAFSA electronically; Retrieve your Renewal FAFSA information over the Internet; File your Renewal FAFSA using the FAFSA on the Web site; Access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) web site and view information about other federal student aid you may have received. Your PIN is similar to the PIN you use to access your bank account. To protect the privacy of the information you are submitting, you must keep your PIN secret. If you need a PIN, have lost or forgotten your PIN, or if you think someone else knows your PIN, you can request a new one at

Q. What is my Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

A. Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount you and your family are expected to contribute toward your education. You receive an EFC based on the processing results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Q. Why did my financial need change from last year?

A. Since need represents the difference between total costs of attending DCC and the ability of you and your family to contribute; any change in your family's situation or in DCC’s charges may mean a change in need.

Q. What do I do with a Student Aid Report (SAR) that I receive in the mail? 

A. If you listed DCC on your application we will receive your information electronically and you should keep your original Student Aid Report for your records.

Q. How do I get a work-study job?

A. You must first complete a FAFSA form. If you are interested in work-study, come by the Financial Aid Office to complete the application. Once all current positions are filled we will start a waiting list. Students often drop or change jobs during the year, thus vacancies may arise. Student must be enrolled in at least 6 credits to qualify for work-study.

Q. When and how do I get paid for my work-study job?

A. You will be paid twice a month for the hours that you work. It is your money to spend as you see fit on your education related expenses.

Q. Will I have to pay back any financial aid money if I drop out or withdraw from school? 

A. If you receive federal financial aid and drop out or withdraw from school during the first 60% of the semester you may be required to repay a percentage of the aid that you received.

Q.  How do I apply for a Direct Stafford Loan?

A.  You may visit our website at

Q. What is the difference between the Business Office and the Financial Aid Office? 

A. These two offices are located in the Wyatt Building and are separate from one another administratively. The Financial Aid Office awards grants, loans, and work-study. The Business Office sends bills and collects payments for college charges not covered by aid. The Business Office also processes your financial aid disbursements to you.

Q. What if I have a credit balance on my student account? 

A. If you have a credit balance in your account (after tuition and, if applicable, textbook charges have been paid) you will receive a disbursement later in the semester.

Q.  When will I receive my financial aid disbursement?

A.  Students enrolled in standard courses should start receiving their disbursements 4-6 weeks after the refund date. Students have the option of receiving disbursements electronically or via paper check.

Q.  Why did I receive a bill from the Business Office?  I have financial aid.

A.  If your financial aid award is insufficient to cover your tuition and fees, you will receive a bill.


Financial Aid Office

1008 South Main Street Danville, VA 24541