Summer Financial Aid Information

Important Dates -

Registration for Summer classes begins April 1st.

Financial Aid can be used in the Bookstore starting May 6th.

Classes begin May 20th.

Students must have a 2023-2024 FAFSA on file with Danville Community College in order to be reviewed for summer 2024 financial aid eligibility. Summer Pell Grant awards depend upon an individual student's Pell grant usage in the fall 2023 and spring 2024 semesters of that award year. Summer awards of state aid depends upon state funding availability, which may be limited. 

Eligible students will be awarded prior to the start of the summer semester. Please note that even if you were not eligible for grants in the fall/spring semesters, you may have grant eligibility in the summer.  

Eligible students will receive a financial aid award notification in the Student Message Center. Students can also check Anticipated Aid in Account Inquiry on the Student Services Page in SIS.

  • All awards are contingent upon your continued compliance with the institution's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. If you are awarded financial aid in the summer but fail to meet the college's SAP standards after the current spring semester, your financial aid award for summer will be cancelled. 
  • Please continue to monitor your DCC email account and the Message Center, located in the Student Center of SIS, for communications from the Financial Aid Office.


The United States Department of Education has Implemented a new program beginning with summer 2018 that will allow students who are eligible for the Pell grant to receive it in the summer semester even if they attended full-time in fall and spring.

There are a few restrictions, but this table represents how you can figure out whether you can receive Pell for summer.

If you took:

To get Pell in the summer you need:




0-11 credits

0-11 credits

1 or more credit*

0-11 credits

12 or more credits

1 or more credit*

12 or more credits

0-11 credits

1 or more credit*

12 or more credits

12 or more credits

6 or more credits*

*Some students who have only partial Pell eligibility will not receive Pell at less than half-time or half-time enrollment. You may view the proration of your Pell based on your actual enrollment using the “Account Inquiry” tool in the Student Center.

Keep in mind that your Pell grant is prorated based on the number of financial aid eligible credits you enroll in each term. Awards are initially offered base on full-time enrollment. In most cases, Pell grants are prorated in increments of 25% of the offered based on the following enrollment statuses:

Credit hours taken

Enrollment status

12 or more credit hours per term


9-11 credit hours per term

Three Quarter Time

6-8 credit hours per term

Half Time

1-5 credit hours per term

Less than half time


Each year, DCC receives an allocation of funds from various sources. The majority of funds are disbursed to fall and spring students, but unused funds from students who do not attend or who graduate between semesters are rolled over to summer semester. Eligible students will be awarded prior to the start of the summer semester.  

Additional Information for State Aid:

  • State aid is awarded to students with ‘In State’ residency status.
  • Virginia Commonwealth Grant (COMA) awards assist with covering tuition and fees for at least six financial aid eligible credits of enrollment.
  • G3 funds will be available for students in an eligible program, meeting all eligibility requirements, and enrolled in at least six financial aid eligible credits. 
  • Books, supplies, and additional courses may need to be paid by the student out-of-pocket or using other sources.
  • If you have been awarded COMA funds and you do not register for and maintain enrollment in 6 or more credits towards your program at DCC, your award will be cancelled, and you will have to pay out of pocket for any remaining credits.
  • There are limited state funds available to students that will be attending less than 6 credits, and those will be awarded to students based on registered credits.

Direct Loan Eligibility

A student who wishes to request a Direct Student Loan for the summer semester must complete and submit the Direct Student Loan Request Form to the Financial Aid Office. First-time Direct Student Loan borrowers need to complete the required Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling at

If you are going to attend 6 or more financial aid eligible credits in the summer, you may wish to submit a Direct Loan Request Form if the grant funds that you have been awarded are not sufficient. It is recommended that your Federal Direct Stafford loan request be submitted by May 16, in order to have the anticipated loan apply toward your tuition charges.

Students have annual loan limits indicating how much they are eligible to borrow based on their class level and dependency status. The annual loan limit applies to the academic year which runs Fall, Spring, Summer. Students who take summer classes may borrow up to the amount of their annual limit minus any loans borrowed in Fall and/or Spring. The limits are as follows:

Year in School

Dependent Student, Parents PLUS eligible or not PLUS applicants

Dependent Student, Parents Denied for PLUS loan



$5,500 (no more than $3500 may be subsidized)

$9,500 (no more than $3500 may be subsidized)

$9,500 (no more than $3500 may be subsidized)


$6,500 (no more than $4500 may be subsidized)

$10,500 (no more than $4500 may be subsidized)

$10,500 (no more than $4500 may be subsidized)

  • So, for example, if you are a dependent freshman student who borrowed $4000 in the fall and spring, you could apply to borrow up to $1500 in the summer semester. Students who have borrowed the maximum annual loan limits during fall and spring semesters will have no remaining loan eligibility for summer semester.

After your financial aid eligibility has been determined, you can view your award on the by logging in to your MyDCC account. If your financial aid award is not sufficient to cover your tuition and fees, you will need to make a payment online via your MyDCC account or in person to the Cashier's window located in the Wyatt building.