Get ready for early FAFSA!

Planning to attend Danville Community College in the 2021-2022 school year?

We have great news for your wallet!

Thanks to new federal policies, the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is available two months earlier this year - starting October 1 - and you can use prior year tax information (2019) to fill it out. In the past, the application hasn't been available until January. This change means you don't have to wait to file your 2020 taxes in order to find out how much money you could get for college. Plus, many forms of financial aid are awarded first-come, first-served, so it's in your best interest to file early!

FAFSA Basics:

Q: Who should fill out the FAFSA?

A: ANYONE planning to attend college! This information is required to become eligible for any financial aid, including federal grants, loans, work-study programs, even private scholarships (like those from the DCC Educational Foundation).

Q: Why should I fill out the FAFSA? My family makes too much money/I didn't get enough aid to cover tuition last year/I don't have the grades to qualify for scholarships.

A: Last year, American students missed out on $2.7 BILLION in financial aid simply by not applying (yes, that's billion with a 'b'). Why miss your chance at free money for college? Yes, some forms of financial aid (like Pell grants) are based on need, but not all, just like some scholarships are based on academics. The DCC Educational Foundation offers a large number of scholarships based on everything from your major program of study to community service to the high school you attended! Check out the options by visiting and clicking "Alumni/Foundation."

Q: I filled out the FAFSA in the spring. Do I have to do it again?

A: YES. You must submit a new FAFSA every year to qualify for aid.

Q: The form is too hard to fill out/I don't have time right now.

A: It usually takes less than half an hour to fill out the FAFSA once you gather all the information! If you need help, DCC's Financial Aid office, located on the first floor of the Wyatt Building, has free open hours and computers available during the day Monday through Friday. Drop in any time, no appointment needed! The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC), also located in Wyatt, offers extra help for first-generation college students to apply to college, complete the FAFSA, and more. EOC staff are located not only at DCC, but in Martinsville, Stuart, Franklin County, and South Boston. Call 434.797.8577 for information or to make an appointment.

Q: What documents and info do I need to fill out the FAFSA?

A: The FAFSA asks for information about you (your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, whether you’re a U.S. citizen or what tax form you used), you might need the following:

  • Your Social Security number (and your parents', if you're a dependent student)
  • Your driver’s license number (if you have one)
  • Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • Federal tax information or tax returns from 2019 (This may include tax info for you, your spouse if you are married, or for your parents if you are a dependent student.)
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits
  • Information on any cash or bank account assets you may have

Q: How do I tell if I count as a dependent student?

A: Generally, the U.S. Department of Education counts you as a dependent for FAFSA purposes if you are younger than age 24, unmarried, and not a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Q: How do I start the FAFSA process?

A: First, the student (and parents, if student is a dependent) need to create an FSA ID, which is used to confirm your identity and electronically sign your federal student aid documents. To create an FSA ID, visit Then, visit to fill out the application. Danville Community College and Foundation staff are here to help you make your college dreams a reality. Take advantage of early FAFSA, starting October 1, 2020, to be first in line for grants, scholarships, and loans.

For more information, check out our Financial Aid page. For detailed information about filling out the FAFSA and the types of aid available, visit  

Complete the FAFSA

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) immediately/span>, even before you are informed of your admissions decision. The application should be completed each year. You can:

Federal School Code: 003758

Contact Us

The Financial Aid Office is located in Wyatt Room 111 and can be reached by phone at 434-797-8567 or 434-797-8439 or by email at

Since 2016, all Financial Aid communications are now electronic. Please make sure you know how to log into your MyDCC and your student email accounts. Everything you need to know will be online.

Steps to View Financial Aid Online

  1. Go to
  2. Click on MyDCC (the blue button).
  3. Enter your user name and password.
  4. Click on the VCCS SIS8 Student Information System.
  5. Click on Campus Finances.
  6. Click on Account Inquiry.
  7. Click on Activity.
  8. Click on Term.
  9. Click on Go.
  10. This will give you all the information about your account. If you have been issued a refund, this is where you will be able to find the information.

Fax: 434-797-8541

Mailing Address:

1008 South Main Street
Danville, VA 24541