What is Dual Enrollment?
Dual enrollment classes allow motivated students to earn college credit from DCC while still in high school! This gives students a head start towards a college degree or valuable industry credentials that can help them find a good job after graduation.
What are the Benefits?
- Receive college-level instruction, often without leaving the high school campus.
- Gain experience with college-level coursework and be more prepared when you graduate from high school.
- Start your bachelor’s degree: Earn a "C" or better, and dual enrollment courses may transfer to a 4-year university or college.
- *Transfer policies vary by college. Visit danville.edu/transfer to learn more.
- Save thousands of dollars on tuition by taking dual enrollment courses.
- Pathways are available for students to earn valuable industry certifications while still in high school that will help them get ahead in the workforce. Spend less time in school after graduation, and start earning money faster!
Which Dual Enrollment options are available at my school?
Each high school's offerings vary, but generally courses are available in a variety of general education/college transfer and technical areas. These may include automotive, computers and information technology, cosmetology, culinary arts, English, math, precision machining, and many more. Click below to see the available pathways in your school system:
- Danville City Schools Dual Enrollment Pathways
- Pittsylvania County Schools Dual Enrollment Pathways
- Halifax County Schools Dual Enrollment Pathways
What if My High School Doesn't Offer What I Want to Take?
High school students may take DCC classes that are not offered through dual enrollment through Concurrent Enrollment the main DCC campus. Our tuition is considerably lower than a four-year college or university, so concurrent enrollment is a great option for high school students to save time and money while pursuing a college degree.
How do I sign up?
- Complete a Danville Community College online application. Click here for instructions about applying online. Click here to apply online.
- For dual enrollment, complete and return to Danville Community College, the Dual Enrollment Permission Form. Click here for the Dual Enrollment Parent Permission Form.
- For concurrent enrollment for high school and home schooled students, click here for more instructions.
- Complete the VPT (Virginia Placement Test). DCC offers testing on the DCC campus as well as on-site at local high schools. Check with the high school guidance counselor for days and times being offered. Click here for placement testing information and practice.
- Check with the guidance counselor at the student's high school for choices of dual enrollment courses and enrollment into those courses.