Students with remaining aid balances after tuition and fees are paid in full and after bookstore purchases have been deducted will receive the remaining balance in the form of a check, direct deposit, or debit card each semester. This depends on the refund option you have chosen to receive refunds from the College. Prior to processing remaining balances, the College must ensure that students have begun classes and have not been reported for non-attendance. We then adjust aid for students who are less than full-time, and disburse aid to pay charges (e.g., tuition, fees, books). Once all charges are paid, any remaining credit balance is then prepared for a refund issued to the student.
The last day to drop with a refund must pass prior to disbursement. Disbursements usually begin processing Mid October for Fall, Mid March for Spring, and Late June for Summer. After the initial disbursement dates, the College will process new disbursements approximately once a week throughout the semester as awards are made. Students enrolled in later starting classes will have their disbursements held until after the add / drop period for those classes. Please check your address in the Student Information System (SIS) to be sure the correct mailing address is on file. Incorrect mailing addresses will cause a delay in receiving your refund.
How do I get my financial aid refund?
DCC has contracted with Nelnet to process your tuition reimbursements (revenue refunds, financial aid balance checks, and payment plan refunds) to students electronically.
- In as few as 4-6 days with the ACH (direct deposit to checking or savings) option after the refund is posted in SIS.
- Checks will be mailed to the student’s US Postal mailing address as listed on their SIS account and are usually delivered to that address with 10 to 14 days AFTER you see the refund posted on your SIS account.
- You will receive an email alert from Nelnet once the refund has been processed.
- Financial aid refunds occur when financial aid exceeds college charges for tuition, fees, and books.
- Refunds usually start processing approximately the sixth week of classes.
- Disbursements will be held until after the census date of the last class for students taking all dynamic classes (all classes outside of regular 16 week session).