Financial aid is awarded to cover tuition, fees, and in some cases books and supplies during your attendance at Danville Community College. These funds should only be used to purchase books and supplies that are required for the classes in which you are enrolled. Your financial aid funds are intended for you and should never be used to make purchases for other students, staff, or faculty members.
Students who wish to use financial aid to purchase books and supplies from the DCC Castle Bookstore must present a valid photo ID, and their DCC Student ID number in order to charge to their account. Students should plan to purchase all books and supplies during this timeframe as charges will not be accepted after the deadline listed.
- Financial Aid Bookstore Purchasing Policy
The DCC Castle Bookstore is authorized to allow students to charge the following materials to their financial aid for 10 days prior to the start of a term until the end of the main drop period. Students may use excess financial aid to purchase only required books and supplies for registered courses deemed eligible for financial aid for the term during the designated charge dates. Students participating in the Department of Education - Second Chance Pell Experimental Initiative are not eligible to make charges against financial aid in the DCC Castle Bookstore.
A course would be deemed ineligible for financial aid if any of the four following circumstances exist:
- The course does not apply to the student’s academic program.
- The course has already been repeated once after having been successfully completed. Successful completion is defined as any grade other than F, U, R, or W.
- The course is developmental and the student has already attempted 30 or more developmental credits.
- The course is a basic skills class that is below the postsecondary level.
If for any reason financial aid does not cover the balance charged in the bookstore, the student is responsible for paying that balance and will not be allowed to register for classes until that debt has been satisfied.
The approved dollar amount available per student to charge will vary according to the financial aid award and enrollment.
Additional supplies can include:
- One computer or tablet (authorization required)1
- One scientific calculator
- Required tools
- Required uniforms
There is no refund policy from the bookstore on laptops or electronic items. Bookstore staff will be happy to advise students on registering their laptop and activating any warranties available. The manufacturer will provide instructions on return, repair, or replacement of a defective or damaged laptop within the bounds of the applicable warranty.
Any other electronic item is considered unrelated to the course and may not be purchased with financial aid. Other Items not approved for purchase with financial aid include but are not limited to apparel, food, cell phones, gift items, and gift/prepaid cards.
During the purchase period, books and supplies purchased using financial aid cannot be returned to the DCC Castle Bookstore for cash. Amounts for returned items must be credited back to the aid items that paid for the books and supplies on the student’s account.
1Students will receive a Bookstore Authorization form from the Bookstore. One laptop/tablet purchase is allowed with subsequent purchase requests evaluated on a case-by-case basis, such as course requirements stipulating an upgrade is necessary or theft.
- Course Material Return Policy
- You must have your receipt for all returns.
- Textbooks may only be returned if you have dropped a class or if you accidentally purchased the wrong book.
- Textbooks may be returned for full refund up until the last day to withdraw with a full tuition refund for each full semester.
- Textbook returns for late starting classes must be returned by the first day of class.
- New books must be in absolutely NEW condition if returned (No writing, bent, soiled or wrinkled pages, etc.).
- Textbooks with shrink wrap removed cannot be returned.
- CDs MUST be included, if applicable.
- Access codes must be intact.
- Credits issued will be applied to the same method of payment used when the books were orginally purchased.
- There is NO refund from the bookstore on laptops or electronic items.
For the full Return and Refund Policy, please refer to DCC's Catalog.
- Bookstore Charging Timeframes
Students should plan to purchase all books and supplies during these times. There will be no book charges after the dates listed below. The Bookstore charge period will reopen for new students during the second session.
The DCC Castle Bookstore charge period typically starts two weeks prior to the first day of class and ends the last day to drop with a full tuition refund. If you must drop your classes, please return your book purchases for any available credit.
Semester Attending: Summer 2023 Book Charges: May 8 - June 1 Summer 2nd 5 -week Session: June 21 - July 3
Semester Attending: Fall 2023 Book Charges: August 7 - September 12 Fall 2nd 8-week Session: October 9 - October 20
Semester Attending: Spring 2024 Book Charges: January 2 - January 30 Spring 2nd 8-week Session: March 4 - March 15