Transfer Center FAQ

How do I prepare to transfer?

Starting your Mathematics (based on your program of study) and English (composition) sequences as early as possible is a good idea, as they are common requirements across most programs. Remember that developmental classes, while critical for many students’ success, are not considered transferable courses.

The following transfer resources should be used throughout your DCC experience to prepare for transfer:

  • The transition counselor
  • Your academic advisor
  • The DCC Transfer Center website
  • Four-year college general education and program requirements
  • The requirements outlined in the four-year transfer institution's Guaranteed Admissions Agreement
  • The transfer guides for the four-year institution to which you would like to transfer, especially the transfer equivalency database

Will all of my DCC credits transfer?

If you are enrolled in a transfer-oriented degree program, typically, yes. However, developmental courses as well as occupational or technical courses are not designed for transfer. Further, you must earn a “C" or better in your courses in order for them to transfer. 

Where can I transfer?

DCC and the VCCS have Guaranteed Admissions or Articulation Agreements with 41 public and private four-year institutions in the commonwealth and the region. These transfer partnerships assist students in making a smooth transition from DCC to their four-year institution. Students, however, are not limited to the schools with which agreements exist. In fact, most four-year schools in the United States welcome transfer students each year.

What is a Guaranteed Admission Agreement (GAA)?

The Virginia Community College System (VCCS) has worked with four-year institutions throughout the Commonwealth to set up GAAs. Typically the agreements require that a student earn a transfer-oriented degree and maintain a particular GPA, which varies depending on the four-year institution. Qualified graduates seeking transfer to these schools will be admitted automatically with full third-year status. It is important to note that admission to a given institution does not guarantee admission to particular degree-granting programs, majors, or fields of concentration.

What is an Articulation Agreement?

Articulation agreements differ from GAAs in that they are specific to a particular program at a particular institution. DCC has articulation agreements with several four-year schools, specifically in the areas of Early Childhood Education, Administration of Justice, and Information Support Technology.

Can I transfer if I am getting a degree in the Applied Sciences?

Students enrolled in Applied Science degree programs also have transfer options through specific articulation agreements that DCC has set up with a number of four-year institutions. They may also transfer to institutions where DCC does not have agreements, but should be aware that in many cases they will be required to fulfill general education requirements once they enroll.

Can I transfer to a four-year college or university without earning an Associate’s degree?

Yes, but it is to your advantage to complete an associate degree program for several reasons:

  • With fewer than 30 transferable credit hours, most four-year colleges and universities will consider your high school and standardized test scores in addition to your DCC coursework.
  • Guaranteed Admission Agreements typically apply only to those students who have earned transfer-oriented associate degrees.
  • By completing the degree, you likely will have fulfilled the general education requirements of a four-year college or university and can enter with junior standing.

I’ve heard I can continue to pay community college tuition at my four-year school. Is this true?

No, but there are grants and scholarships designated specifically for transfer students. These grants may be awarded by the four-year institution or the Commonwealth of Virginia. Beginning in the Fall of 2007, the Commonwealth will award the Two-Year Transfer Grant Program. Students now have an opportunity to receive up to $2,000 annually upon transferring to a four-year institution. Ask the admissions officer at your four-year school about their transfer grants.